Read anytime, anywhere
Airport Billing System
A major airport was in need of improving their billing processes by moving from a highly manual system using Excel spreadsheets to an automated system. Airport billing is based on billing instructions which in some cases are very complex formulas. They having recurring charges that are the same each month and activity based charges based on level of activity at the airport.
The initial needs from the client were to assess the business processes associated with the airport billing system and determine the best technology approach to improving the operations. The new billing system needed to meet the following requirements:
- A web based application with roles management to control internal and external access to the application.
- Easy to use custom formatted data entry and calculation review screens
- Allow scheduling of recurring charges on a monthly or quarterly basis
- Automate the generation and printing of invoices
- Automate the transfer of invoice data to Oracle AR accounting system
Sofbang was selected as the vendor of choice to perform the initial assessment of the airport billing system and conducted interviews with both the airport and financial departments. Options were provided for custom development in-house or use third party software. Airport elected to use SaaS approach with hosted services with MetraTech. Sofbang was selected to work with MetraTech for the implementation.
This is a list of services Sofbang contributed to during the implementation process:
- Business process assessment
- Technology selection
- SaaS implementation or customization
- Custom web service interface
- User Acceptance Test (UAT) management
- End customer support
The MetraNet application was customized for use by the airport and implemented in a hosted system. Sofbang participated in the development of the interface between the hosted MetraNet application and the client Oracle AR financial system. Because of Sofbang’s ability to bridge the gap between business and technology, the client comptroller requested that Sofbang serve as their technical interface to MetraTech during the implementation process.
The following benefits were realized by the project:
- Automated billing process
- Statistics and financial information all in one system
- Direct transfer of invoice data from MetraNet to Oracle AR
- Annual direct cost savings over manual process